Saturday, May 4, 2013

DC Monument and Memorials - 2012

We visited the various DC monuments and memorials throughout the week as time allowed. One evening after Tim finished work we headed over to the Jefferson Memorial since it is set a little a part and easier to drive to (especially being pregnant with 3 kids).

Reagan reading the Preamble in the Jefferson Memorial
Daddy and kiddos with Jefferson in the background
We saw the Washington Monument closer several times but I included this picture because it included me! lol :)
Our friend Nathan works at the Pentagon and arranged a tour for us (thank you sooo much!). After our indoor tour we walked over to the 9/11 Memorial.
They are working on the National Mall so getting a picture with the United States Capital in the background was a little challenging.
Jackson enjoying his new planes from the Air and Space Museum during a walk on the National Mall
Saturday morning before we left we hit a number of monuments and memorials beginning with Lincoln

At this point in time I don't remember exactly how this occurred, but a couple of times the girls began talking to Asian tourists and ended up with pictures being taken with them. What's hilarious is the girls loved it and posed beautifully whereas I have to practically stand on my head to get them to smile and look in the direction of the camera. I guess the next time I want nice family pictures I'll have to arrange for an Asian family to join us... lol :)
The MLK Monument is new since we moved away from DC so that was nice for all of us to see.
We ended with the FDR Memorial which is such a nice park area along the Potomac basin.
The kids enjoyed playing on the rocks (in and out of the water) throughout the memorial
I like all the quotes they have from FDR throughout the memorial. My favorite quote appears near the end of the memorial and is as follows: "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith."
We had such a great visit to DC! This is such an awesome ctiy and we were so lucky to have spent 6 years of our lives living there. I don't know that I could imagine ever living there again but I do see many visits in our future! Thank you to everyone who made our week memorable and fun!

1 comment:

  1. Some great shots, especially of Reagan reading the preamble.

    ReplyDelete