Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Making of Jackson's Dragon Birthday Cake

I have to say this is the best cake I have ever made and most likely ever will make. What can I say, I've peaked extremely early! lol :) A cake baker I am not! Having said that, I LOVE Pinterest and all the awesome ideas you can find (for both play and school). I was so excited when I found this cake idea: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/53480314298152952/ . I thought I could handle this since dragon's don't have smooth skin and all the details were done with candy. I had to make a couple of changes but over all the directions were awesome! So the first step was baking two 9 inch circle cakes and cutting them. The sizes were a bit off so I had to use icing to make up the difference but it was a great starting point.
 Jackson wanted a red dragon, which I was worried about for a bit since my best attempts at red have always come out pink (icing, playdough, anything really). So sure enough here is my freshly iced pink dragon body.
 Luckily I had spotted "Wilton Red Color Mist" and decided to pick it up and try it out. So glad I did because it worked amazingly well.
Next came all the candy. Graham crackers for the back, marshmallows and chocolate chips for the eyes, upside down chocolate kisses for the noses, fruit slices for the claws and eyebrows (or ears?), and fruit rollups for the wings. The only thing I didn't add until the party was the wings was because the directions warned against the weight. As it turned out it didn't seem to be any trouble as the wings stayed up perfectly throughout the party.
 The finished product! I thought I was pretty smart with the wavy orange candles for Jackson's fire breathing dragon.

For my limited cake making experience, this did end up being a little more challenging and time consuming than I thought, but I was so happy with the way it turned out. It was completely worth the effort! Wish I could find fun cakes like this for every birthday, guess I have an excuse to spend some more time searching Pinterest! ;)

1 comment: