Sunday, July 28, 2013

Memorial Day - WI May 2013

Aunt Arla and Uncle Scott hosted a Memorial Day party that also celebrated Uncle Phil's recent retirement. I'm excited for him and his retirement, but I do miss the cows! At least he still has some heifers, but it does seem odd not to be able to go and visit during milking time. Some of my earliest (and best - I loved my Grandpa Carlson and was truly lucky enough to have the best grandfather ever) memories are trucking down to the farm bright and early in the morning to "help" Grandpa milk the cows. And just like the girls with Uncle Phil I loved "helping" spread the manure in the fields. It didn't make sense to keep the farm going, but I'll miss it and the cows none the less!
~
 I wanted to begin this post with a couple big group pictures we managed with most of the people who were able to attend the Memorial Day party at Aunt Arla and Uncle Scott's house.

 We actually began the day by heading up to Uncle Phil and Aunt Dee's to visit the horses. Aunt Dee and McKinley were very excited to meet each other! :)
 Jackson and Reagan riding Taboo
 Jackson decided he'd rather drive the van than ride the horses lol :)
 The girls were happy to ride as long as Uncle Phil, Taboo and Gypsy were willing to provide the rides
 Uncle Phil and Reagan
 After the kids were done with the horses it was time for a 4 wheeler ride with Uncle Phil
 As always, Aunt Arla completely out did herself for the party! The food was all amazing and completely patriotically themed!
 Grammy contributed red, white and blue drinks
 These next pictures were so funny. I had been walking around and noticed the three Schwantes guys were in relatively close proximity to each other. I asked them to stand together so I could get a brothers picture and this was how they accommodated me. lol :)
 Then they turned around and the following conversation ensued:
Brett (in yellow): Hey, Where's my hat?
Chad (in green): Your hat? Where's your hair?
Brett: My hair? Oh no! My hair is gone?!?!?
Thanks Brett, Ryan and Chad for providing me with a good laugh! lol :)
 Great Grandma and Aunt Carol (middle) were married to my Grandpa and his brother, Uncle Dale, respectively. Aunt Carol and her daughter and grandson were able to come and join our family get together. It was so nice to see and visit with them. 
 I think Aunt Arla snapped this picture of Tim and me and I thought it turned out so nicely
 Uncle Phil, his son Brandon, and Erland (splg?) who is a cousin of Uncle Phil's and Grammy's
 This picture must have been snapped pretty quickly because with all the aunts and grandmas around, and McKinley currently being the only baby in the family, I hardly got to hold her! Having said that, we can't wait to meet the two new Carlson great grand babies due in November! :)
 Cousins, Amber and Seth, they are my cousin Julie's children and looking forward to having a little brother in November. Actually, from what I understand Amber isn't quite so sure what she thinks about having another little brother and has already put in a request for additional children. lol :)
 Grammy and her sweet baby
 Uncle Phil and his "freedom" cake Aunt Pat brought to celebrate the day and his retirement. We certainly hope he enjoys his new found freedom!
 Jackson thoroughly enjoying being a "big kid" with cousins Kage and Kolton
 Aunt Arla had sparklers for all the kids. She placed them in play dough inside cups which made it very easy for the kids to hold. What a great idea!
 After the sparklers the kids lined up for a fireworks display put on by Uncle Scott
 While the big kids enjoyed the fireworks McKinley enjoyed some good loving from my cousin Nathan. :) Great Grandma enjoyed all the festivities too. :)
 Great Grandma with four of her nine great grand daughters 
 I love this picture of Missy K and Great Grandma and enjoying a good joke together.
Thank you everyone for making our trip so fun! Wisconsin is such a special place to us because of all you. Thank you especially to Aunt Arla and Uncle Scott who go out of their way to make sure there's never a dull moment and always organize activities for everyone to enjoy. We can't wait for our next trip to see you all again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment