Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vegetable Garden

In March we planted a number of different vegetables which we intended to transplant into a small vegetable garden this spring. If you're interested, you can check out those efforts on our old blog at http://luekermunchkins.blogspot.com/2012/04/planting-veggies.html . Most of our vegetables did quite well. The only thing that did not make it was the watermelon, but we knew we were planting it out of season and for that reason didn't entirely expect it to survive. Reagan wanted to plant the watermelon so badly, however, I thought it would be a good learning opportunity, and it was. As it turns out, there's a reason plants have seasons and as I mentioned the watermelon didn't make it. ;) 
~
The first weekend in May Grammy and Grand-Dad helped us put this small vegetable garden in our backyard, thank you so much! Thank you also to Aunt Dorothy who gave us some of the larger plants she received from her partner Paul. Those were a very welcome addition!
~
Besides our transplants, we also planted carrots, corn and watermelon. I had originally intended to have the kids help put everything in the ground but it was a busy day so Grand-Dad helped me plant our garden without any little helpers. They were happy checking out the end results and showed no distress in not having been included in the planting. :)
The girls looked at the garden and moved right on along to the swingset while Jackson enjoyed the opportunity to explore.

  Jackson especially enjoyed the tomato cages and picking up clods of dirt.
 I know many of you might laugh at the idea of even calling this a garden. I kind of have to as well. Compared to what my parents did growing up it's a joke. Having said that, I can't tell you how proud I am of myself for finally getting my act together to even accomplish this much. :) I've been talking about it for a long time with no action. We might not have a ton, but I can't wait to enjoy some great home grown vegetables this summer! Hopefully things will go well and we can expand our efforts next year. :)
Thank you to everyone who provided assistance in creating our happy little vegetable garden! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment